Re: Strange Ping

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Sep 29 1997 - 09:27:49 PDT

Date:          Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:27:49
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Strange Ping

Dear Matt,

> 1) Strange Pinguicula. Not yet identified. Alternating leaves at
> top of stem(s), lower ones turn yellow and fall off. Produces seeds
> at all leaf nodes at once, or produces a "stack" of seeds that grows
> above where the uppermost leaves are, making the plant topheavy until
> seeds are ready to fall off (this topheavyness has caused one of the
> two leaf-producing stems to bend and crease, requiring me to lash it
> to a stake in the medium to keep it upright, this bending may be in
> part due to the plant being grown under artificial light awhile back
> causing the stem to be thin and stretched as it grew). This
> Pinguicula DOES NOT FLOWER. Seeds are produced without flowers. Can
> anybody identify this Pinguicula?

If your description is correct, this is not a _Pinguicula_. All
species of this genus (in fact all cps) DO HAVE FLOWERS. Do you have
a picture of your plant and can you post it on the web? I would
especially like to see how the "seeds" are attached to the "leaf
nodes".

Usually, _Pinguicula_ forms rosettes of leaves without any
appreciable stems. This does not even change under artificial light.
In some cases, stolons (with elongated internodes) are formed. These
do, however, never flower or produce seeds.

Kind regards
Jan