Light (oh, no....)

From: Tim Williams (Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp)
Date: Mon Oct 06 1997 - 22:11:49 PDT

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 06:11:49 +0100
From: "Tim Williams" <Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Light (oh, no....)

 Dear CP growers,

At the risk of being branded an a*** retentive (it is not hyphenated, but I
can imagine people who aught to be) by student-abusing lecturers,

"As per qualities of artificial lights, anyone who has teken classes in
photography, interior decorating, or stage production can tell you that the
three characteristics of light officially are:

        1) Color
        2) Temperature
        3) Mood

Those who manufacture, package, and advertize artificial lighting to those
professionals trained in the above fields will describe their wares in the
appropriate and CORRECT terminology, eg. "cool" and "warm". Do not expect
thousands of people to redefine their terms because some nerd (as is yours
truely) was not aware of the fact thet there are other authorities besides
physics and chemistry. (today's thought - should the term "Anal Retentive"
have a hyphen?)"

Photographers and some other light users (astronomers amongst them) define a
nice, useful scale called "colour temperature" (the two words are used in
conjunction), units are kelvin (k); which aught to suffice for the purposes
of selecting light for plant propagation too.

"Moods are for cows" I read somewhere once; I cannot imagine what use "mood"
would serve in botany, unless it describes short-tempered individuals who
insert abusive language into their correspondence. I sincerely hope that
persons of this ilk reserve their abuse for people deserving of it, rather
than directing it willy-nilly at a group of innocent plant-enthusiasts.

Yours,

Tim Williams.