overwintering temperate butterworts

From: Oliver Gluch (Oliver.Gluch@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Oct 07 1997 - 00:19:00 PDT

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 97 09:19 MET DST
From: Oliver.Gluch@t-online.de (Oliver Gluch)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: overwintering temperate butterworts

Hello to everybody,

almost all of my temperate Pinguicula have formed their winter buds now. To
prevent a new formation of summer leaves (daily temperatures here in the
northern part of Germany are at the moment between 15C and 20C) I would like to
store the winter buds in the refrigerator in small closed plastic bags together
with moist living sphagnum moss (to keep high humidity inside the bags).
I have observed that some roots are still white (activ ?), others are brown and
look quite dead. There are also some green leaves left, but no activ glands any
more.
My question is: Should I cut away all roots before storing the buds in the
refrigerator (of course not with P. alpina)? My intention for doing this would
be that there will be no material left inside the bag provoking fungus attack.
I also will spray the buds with a fungicide (Benomyl) before placing them in the
bags.
Has anyone experiences to tell?

Best wishes,

Oliver