overwintering temperate butterworts

From: Gordon Wells (wells@iri.upc.es)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 02:06:13 PDT

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 11:06:13 +0200
From: Gordon Wells <wells@iri.upc.es>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: overwintering temperate butterworts

Hi Oliver,

> Almost all of my temperate Pinguicula have formed their winter buds
> now. Should I cut away all roots before storing the buds in the
> refrigerator (of course not with P. alpina)? My intention for doing
> this would be that there will be no material left inside the bag
> provoking fungus attack. I also will spray the buds with a fungicide > (Benomyl) before placing them in the bags. Has anyone experiences to
> tell?

Last year I stored my P. vulgaris winter buds in the refrigerator
right in the soil (peat) without doing anything to them - no root
cutting, no sphagnum, no fungicide. I just put their growing tray
in a styrofoam box, put the box in a plastic bag, and left it in
the bottom of the refrigerator for 5 months. I took it out and
put them outside in April, and they revived just fine. There were
even lots of brood buds on them to separate and plant out. I'm
only speaking about P. vulgaris, of course. Other species may have
different requirements.

Best regards,

Gordon
Gordon Wells
Instituto de Robotica e Informatica Industrial
Edificio Nexus, planta 2
Gran Capitan 2-4 Tel: (343) 401-5805
Barcelona E-08034 Fax: (343) 401-5750
SPAIN e-mail: gwells@iri.upc.es