Fungicide for VFT

From: Benjamin Lasseter (lasseter@chemvx.chem.tamu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 08:09:39 PDT

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 10:09:39 -0500
From: lasseter@chemvx.chem.tamu.edu (Benjamin Lasseter)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fungicide for VFT

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
        Within the past few days, I have been distressed to find mold
growing within the traps of one of my Venus Fly Traps. I went out to get
myself a fungicide, but the people at the garden center were all certain
that a fungicide labelled for roses would kill a VFT. They could not with
assurance recommend one that would suit the needs of my plant.
        Therefore, I turn to you. What fungicide can you recommend to me
that will be mild enough not to kill my plants, but powerful enough to kill
the mold?

        Waiting in worry,
                Benjamin F. Lasseter

By the way, an anecdotal note about poison arrow and poison dart frogs:

>A few years ago the gardens began another important collection, this time not
>plants, but the endangered and very beautiful Poison Dart or Poison Arrow
>Frogs. At the time of the meeting there were several terraria set up with
>various species, many of which were breeding.

When these frogs are taken from their native habitat, the original ones
remain poisonous all their lives. Their progeny in captivity, however,
never become toxic. A hypothesis is that something in the Central/South
American environment of these frogs causes them to become toxic, and their
young just never have that genetic switch turned on.
The thieves who took these creatures deserve to be prosecuted to the
fullest extent of the law. Go get 'em!