Nepenthes Seed Germination

From: John Kneen (jkneen@csir.co.za)
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 23:48:28 PDT

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:48:28 +0200
From: John Kneen <jkneen@csir.co.za>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes Seed Germination

I have had very good success germinating lowland and highland Nepenthes seeds with the following el cheapo method:

1) Take a large (>15cm diameter) glass jar, fill it with vermiculite, leaving a few cm gap at the top. I found that vermiculite provided FAR better results than using chopped bark.
2) Fill the jar with water (yes I used hard Johannesburg tap water) to about 1cm below the vermiculite surface.
3) Sprinkle a few pinches of seed on the surface; close the lid. I tend to use fresh dry Nepenthes seed.
4) I placed the jar a foot or so from a 60w desk lamp, so that the lamp warmed the vermiculite rather than the jar lid. This allows for the fabled 'bottom heat'.
5) I checked the distance of the lamp in the mornings and evenings, so that the vermiculite temp was 25 deg celcius. I also opened the lid for a few minutes.
6) In just a few weeks, the jars are filled with seedlings. When the seedlings are about .5 to 1 cm tall, replant in peatmoss and keep humid and rather moist. Once the seedlings are strong enough to handle normal Nepenthes mixes, plant them out.
7) My best successes are in Winter, where my indoor temperature (without the desk lamp) is around 16 deg celcius. By Spring, I have loads of seedlings waiting for natural photoperiods and heating cycles.

regards
John Kneen