NEPENTHES are dangerous to endemic flora + fauna

From: Hermann Moor (gmoor@codetel.net.do)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 22:03:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:03:34 +0400 (AST)
From: Hermann Moor <gmoor@codetel.net.do>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: NEPENTHES are dangerous to endemic flora + fauna

Hello CPers

Submitting petition for import-permit of Nepenthes (Gracilis, Mirabilis,
Thorelii + Hybrid) to Phytosanitary and Wildlife Authorities of our country
(Dominican Republic), they consider granting such a permit beeing a real
danger for the local flora and fauna.
Still they didn't decline it, but are requesting further detailled infos.

The only literature about Nepenthes I have is the book 'Carnivorous Plants
of the World' from our CP Colleagues James+Patricia Pietropaolo. They
describe the plant as herbaceaous perennials having stem diameters of more
than 2 inches, some exceeding 66 feet in length, climbing on bushes and
trees or creeping on the ground.
As Nepenthes are totally unknown here, I understand that the local authorities
upon this description of the plant, imagine a meat-eating weed, climbing
on bushes and trees, suffocating the vegetation with its arm-thick stem,
on its bloodthirsty way towards its prey, exterminating on its way all the
vegetation and all animals ...

INTERNET presents the new, modern and fastest way to get updated information.

Dear CP Colleagues and CP Professionals:
Do Nepenthes present a real danger for our flora and fauna, taking into
consideration that our climate is somewhat comparable with the climate of
Nepenthes' Natural Habitat like Madagaskar or Indonesia/Malaysia.

Your answer will help the local Agricultural, Phytosanitarial and Wildlife
Authorities to be cleared up.

Thank you for your scientific contributions to this topic.

Hermann Moor
Maimon-Bonao
Dominican Republic
Fax 809 551 2424