Re: NEPENTHES are dangerous to endemic flora + fauna

From: Manfred Buerzele (buerzele@hlhp1.physik.uni-ulm.de)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:48:10 WETDST
From: Manfred Buerzele <buerzele@hlhp1.physik.uni-ulm.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: NEPENTHES are dangerous to endemic flora + fauna

Jan wrote:
> If you want to grow _Nepenthes_ outdoors, just make sure you have
> only male individuals, so no seeds are produced to spread the plants
> beyond the area under your control. The weedy species you intend to
> cultivate can be a danger to the indigenous flora only by invasion of
> suitable habitats, and this is only possible by seed.

But this doesn't completely avoid any danger: Male plants could possibly
fertilize endemic species and thus introduce unwanted hybrids.

To avoid this risk I would have choosen only female individuals. Of course
they could just as easy get pollinated by endemic species. But in this case
any produced hybrid seeds are (theoretically, at least) under my control.

Cheers,
        Manfred.