VFT growing funny

From: Ermine! (ermine@netscape.com)
Date: Sun Oct 19 1997 - 10:57:40 PDT

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 10:57:40 -0700
From: "Ermine!" <ermine@netscape.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFT growing funny

Hi folks;

I have a problem with one of my VFTs, it's the one I've actually had for
a few months, so I'm afraid that all of my VFTs will have the same
problems soon, if I don't work out the cause.

Right now, the plant has about 5 traps, none of which actually work.
The won't close, and all the leaves seem to be everted - they're open,
but the leaves of the trap are concave, instead of convex. It wasn't
like that when I got the plant! Also, the two newest traps that have
opened are small, and the edges of the trap are wavy, instead of
straight. It makes the trap look scalloped around the edges, with all
the teeth pointing in odd directions.

It's possible that that happens when the plant starts to go dormant, I
guess - but I've never had a VFT before to know! I've got it on a
windowsill now, (I'm in northern California) but it was in a terrarium
before. I'm reasonably sure it wasn't getting enough light for the last
couple of months, but it WAS getting light.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I just checked for pests, and
didn't see any aphids or anything.