Re: D. Californian Sunset

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 17:02:00 PDT

Date:    Mon, 20 Oct 97 20:02 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. Californian Sunset

> My D. Californian Sunset has flowered and produced seed.
> As it is a hybrid (D. filiformis ssp. filiformis x D. filiformis ssp.
> tracyi) and
> most D. hybrids are said to be infertile, does this mean I have got a
> mislabelled
> plant. If not: How do I call the plants the seed will produce ? Are they still
> D. Californian Sunset ?

Hello Jens,

   Well, hybrids within a given species should indeed be fertile. No,
there is only one clone D. cv. 'California Sunset'. You can make more
of these by taking leaf cuttings from your plant(s). The seedlings
are just _D. * californica_. Some will look more like tracyi while
others will look more like filiformis.

Dave Evans