Re: N. Redlanderi history

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 09:48:47 PDT

Date:          Wed, 22 Oct 1997 09:48:47
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: N. Redlanderi history

Dear Trent,

> As a scientist, what do you suggest be done to "register" new
> Nepenthes hybrids? Use the Royal Horticultural Society method same
> as orchids, or use only cultivar names?

The two methods are in fact one thing as far as cultivars are
concerned. In describing a cp hybrid cultivar, the complete parentage
should be listed. A cp is *not* a cultivar until it is described; in
any language you like (but please append an English translation if
you prefer Transcaucasian dialects); preferably in CPN; with a photo
showhing the distinctive fatures. The cultivar name will then be
found in the cp database and the bastard formula can be retrieved
therefrom. Unfortunately, some growers simply skip the describing
step. This is the reason for the problems you mentioned.

As CPN will be (still waiting for approval by the ISHS; these guys
obviously have lots of time if it is not theirs) the International
Registration Authority for cps, publication of new cp cultivars in CPN
will be concurrent with registration (streamlining the process of
cultivar establishment). I will write a short guideline for cultivar
registrants in CPN as soon as we will have official IRA status. Do
not, however, expect this to appear this year, as the deadline for
the December issue lies behind us already. If you have urgent items
to be registered ASAP, do not hesitate to submit the descriptions
now. Registration will be effected for all cultivars hitherto
described in CPN. Just make sure your descriptions to highlight the
*distinguishing* features (a cultivar description does *not* need to
mention the general characteristics of the whole group), and do not
forget the photo!

> I know this is a big question, but when I look at an orchid hybrid name,
> I can track its history all the way back to its beginnings. Nepenthes
> hybrids are a wreck, and the situation is not improving.

Which hybrids do you mean? There are several levels of problems in
_Nepenthes_ (but certainly less than in orchids!). I find myself
unable to discuss them all at once.

> I know your concerns are more with taxonomy, but I'd like to hear
> your feedback on this.

As a co-editor of CPN, my concerns cover cultivars as well.

Kind regards
Jan