Re: Stinky Stuff

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Sun Nov 02 1997 - 05:07:36 PST

Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 08:07:36 -0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Stinky Stuff

>Hi,
>
> Tried out a suggestion that I had read here to help grow my Nepenthes =
>a bit better. It involved taking six egg shells, crumbling them up and =
>baking them in the oven for about ten minutes. The shells are then =
>placed in a gallon of water for a week and then fed to the plants as a =
>solution. Unfortunately something didn't quite work out as planned =
>because the second that the lid was opened my nostrils rebelled. The =
>overwhelming sulphurous smell of rotten eggs didn't agree with me and =
>out the solution went with the trash. Is this smell the norm or did I =
>miss a critical step? It seemed very promising. If nothing else you =
>could use the solution to annoy a bothersome neighbor.......say pour it =
>on their pet.

Interesting. My grandparents sometimes put eggshells in an old fashioned
coffee perker to improve the flavour. The eggshells were invariably _dried_
for several days. If you had a "sulphurous smell" from the eggshells; that
would be unlikely to come from the shells, themselves. Perhaps they were
not cleaned. And a week in water ... Trust your nose.

I suspect that, if you wish to give calcium to your Neps., there are better
ways.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson