RE: possible solution to spam

From: wOb (cyril.fournillon@inforoute.cgs.fr)
Date: Mon Nov 03 1997 - 02:47:55 PST

Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 11:47:55 +0100
From: wOb <cyril.fournillon@inforoute.cgs.fr>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: possible solution to spam

Paul Burkhardt[SMTP:burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu] wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> There seems to be an infinite loop of spammers. :) Once spammed, we can
> block that IP address, but that won't stop 'new' spams from reaching us. I
> propose two possible solutions to these 'new' spam messages. One is to
> have a script which tests for the IP address to see if it is a member of
> the list or not. There are some problems with this, mainly spammers can
> easily 'join' the list.
>
> A second possible solution would be to have everyone preceed their subject
> line with a 'key', such as 'CP'. A script can be written to check for this
> 'key'. An example subject line would be, "CP my vft is dying".
>
> Or we can just put up with the spam.

I think the 'CP' prefix in the subject line is a good idea, not much
work when writing, you just have to think of it...

Testing the IP adress of the sender may cause problems to people on
the list using mutliple Internet Access Providers, with multiple
mail servers.

Happy growing and un-spamming to all :)

Cyril 'wOb' Fournillon
Drop me a message: cyril.fournillon@inforoute.cgs.fr
                   wOb@mail.dotcom.fr
                   wOb@chez.com
Visit my HomePage: http://www.inforoute.cgs.fr/fournill
[Voice: +33 1 42 21 78 03] [Fax: +33 1 42 21 76 88] [ICQ: 1397712]
Hi! I'm a .signature virus (mutant version), copy me to
your .signature file to join in.