Mimosa Pudica cultivation

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Wed Nov 05 1997 - 21:55:44 PST

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 00:55:44 -0500
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mimosa Pudica cultivation

Cyril,

The sensitive plant(Mimosa pudica) is quite easy to cultivate. I have
grown several alongside my CP for the benefit of curious guests that
don't get off on watching a ping or nep just "sit there"(in thier words
of course!). I plant the seeds about 1/8 of an inch underground in a
rich sandy potting soil(not CP soil!). Keep the medium moist. They
usually germinate within 1-3 weeks. The sensitive plant is an annual so
its best to sow them inside the house in late winter. This will provide
you with nice healthy seedlings to put outside in the spring when the
weather warms up. Once they are about 6 inches tall you can let the
medium dry out before rewatering. I had a plant this year that reached
TITANIC proportions growing in an 8" plastic pot. By this fall it had
reached well over 2 feet tall and resembled a small bush! Sadly, like I
said, they are annuals and the cold finally took its toll. I hear they
are a veritable "weed" in thier native tropical habitats.

You can probably find packets of seeds for this plant at any large
garden outlet. The plant flower blooms are really eye-catching though
they have never yielded me any seed.

Seeding the Yukon with D. petiolaris complex,

Mark Pogany
markp@crscms.com