Re: water pH

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 09:42:12 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 12:42:12 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: water pH

Brandon wrote:

> I've been watering all my plants with distilled water (pH ~6). Out of
> curiosity, I just took the pH of the water in my cephalotus' dish and
> found it to be about 7.2.

Distilled water should have a pH of 7, which is neutral. How are you
measuring the pH?

I'm surprised that the pH of the water in the dish is 7.2 if the plant
is potted in peat and sand. Peat moss is an acidic material. Perhaps
the sand you're using is derived from an alkaline substance, like
coral or limestone?

> I was wondering if anyone has ever considered buffering their
> water to a lower pH? I know Miracid is a soil acidifier, but it's also
> a fertilizer and so probably shouldn't be used often...

Yes, people have considered "buffering the water". Perhaps you've read
some postings about the peat tea that is made by boiling peat moss.
It has been used on Sarraceniae and Nepenthes with some success. The
peat tea concentrate can have a pH of 3--it is always diluted with
purified water and the diluted tea is used on plants. (You shouldn't
use the peat tea concentrate on your plants.)

Lowering the pH by adding powdered chemicals is probably not a good
idea--salts may accumulate in the potting media over time.

You're right about using Miracid for this purpose--don't. It's
primarily a fertilizer.

Regards,

Perry Malouf