Tap water/vinegar on CP's?

From: Niels.Asger.Nielsen (Niels#d#Asger#d#Nielsen@mar.hha.dk)
Date: Thu Nov 13 1997 - 00:41:05 PST

Date: 13 Nov 1997 09:41:05 +0100
From: "Niels.Asger.Nielsen" <Niels#d#Asger#d#Nielsen@mar.hha.dk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tap water/vinegar on CP's?

Dear list

I would like to use tap water on my CP's instead of the expensive =
demineralised water I use now. I would therefore like to ask:

Charles Brewer: What kind of water do you and your friend add vinegar to? =
Normal tap water, rainwater or?

Charles Brewer wrote:

I have used up to a table spoon per gallon without any side effect. One =
long time CPer, I know, always adds vinegar and an air stone to the water =
that his CPs sit in. He claims it helps to control the growth of algae =
and stimulates plant growth by adding
needed oxygen to their roots.

Mark Fisher: Do you use your "bubbled" water on Your CP's? And what =
machine do you use for "bubbling" the water?

Mark Fisher wrote:

On a related note, tap water often has a high pH because municipal water
     treatment typically drives off all the dissolved CO2, which raises =
the pH.
     The best way to restore the pH of tap water is to simply bubble air =
through
     it, or just let it stand exposed to air. CO2 will eventually dissolv=
e back
     into the water, and drop the pH to it's equilibrium value. Example: =
 here
     in Austin, TX, our tap water is pH 10, but after bubbling air =
through it
     for 36-48 hours, it stabilizes at pH 7.4 (our water is moderately =
hard, and
     well buffered, BTW).

Why bother trying to lower the PH value when CP's grow better with baking =
soda! :-)

Randy Palmer wrote:

to get rid of acidit soil, one tablespoon of baking soda in one gallon of
water. I know most of you have heard it before, but I couldn't resist.

Good growing

Niels, Denmark