Re: Pinguicola paucha seeds germination

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 17 1997 - 11:41:00 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:41:00 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicola paucha seeds germination

In message <1.5.4.32.19700101010000.0067f484@popmail.iol.it>, Alessandro
Delfrate <alex.gizmo@iol.it> writes
>Hi CP Growers
>
>here in Italy we had a very nice meeting at the Furio Ersetti's greenhouse
>in Udine (Northern part of Italy). More than 40 peoples were present, with a
>lot of interesting plants in the exhibition. Probably the Italian CP Society
>will be the light beginning 1998 ! !
>
>I have one question : I have just collected seeds of P. gypsicola and P.
>paucha ( ? it is the only name that I have, but I have no other information
>about this plant) but I have not experience in germination of Pinguicola
>seeds. To be honest, my P. gypsicola comes from Lowrie Allen's seeds, but
>I think that I was very lucky ( 60% peat, 40 % sand, always moist and after
>one year now I have a very nice plant that produced 7 flowers during the
>summer).
>
>Any special requirements for P gypsicola and P paucha seed germination ?

Allessandro,

Most Mexican Pinguicula species will germinate very easily if sprinkled
onto a mixture of peat and sand (about 60/40). Simply keep moist and
fairly warm and you shold get germination quite quickly. I have found
germinations times can vary quite a bit - anything from a few weeks to a
few months, although this may reduce with some warmth. Keep the
seedlings from direct sunlight as they are very small and will burn off
easily. Once they are large anough to handle they can be transferred to
individual pots.

BTW P. pachuca is not an official name and should really be reffered to
as P. sp "Pachuca". This is an as yet undescribed (though note, not
necessarily a new) species. Pachuca is simply the area where the plant
was originall ycollected from.

--
Phil Wilson