Re: Nep. soil

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Nov 19 1997 - 02:02:36 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 05:02:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep. soil

Trent Meeks wrote:

> ...I'm convinced the reason most of the hard to grow species are so
> difficult is because of soil. Check out N. merrilliana, petiolata and
> northiana. Our traditional mixes just are not what they like.
> ..."iron -magnesium" soil found in the red hills on northern Mindinao..
> ...limestone hills near Bau, Sarawak... What is unique about> the soil?

Yes, the 'traditional mixes' are nothing like the soil found in
Nepenthes habitats. This became obvious to me durng my trip to
Kinabalu Park. I use sphagnum and perlite. The soils I found
Nepenthes growing in was a slimy, mineral-rich muck. No aeration
whatsoever, especially compared with the sphagnum/perlite. Also,
I found that the root systems of wild Nepenthes were very small
compared to the size of the plant. A N. rajah that was over 1 m tall
and a little wider had a root ball only slightly larger than my fist.
I suspect that the plant could get away with this because it's in
perpetually high humidity and so doesn't transpire much water.
Since the water demand is low, it doesn't need a large root system.
This is only speculation.

Regards,

Perry Malouf