Re: Nep. soil

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 11:36:09 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:36:09 -0500
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep. soil

So, here's a general call to nepenthes growers. Please post the
recipe for your potting mix if it's _different_ from sphagnum
and perlite.

I'm not a big Neps grower, I just have a few and they seem to be doing nicely. I
use 5 different mixes of the following:

 1:1:1:1:1

Peat: Perlite: Dried Sphagnum: General Orchid Bark: *Burnt Pine Straw

     Note: the pine straw is measured prior to burning. Once burned, I just
     add the ashes to the mix, wet everything down and let it season for
     two weeks before using it. I use a similar soil mix for Cephs, with an
     additional part of silica sand. With the Ceph soil, I mix up the dried
     mix, add water, place the mix in a clear plastic bag and sit the
     entire bag outside in hot sun for 10 days. The soil quickly heats up,
     killing funguses, spores, insects or anything else that may become a
     pest later on. One more note, I usually wait for summer before I set
     the soil out in the sun. Hope this helps.
                   Charles Brewer
                   Va. Beach, Va.