Re: Drosera in Brazil + a new species from Australia

From: ss66428 (ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 05:55:07 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:55:07 +0900
From: ss66428 <ss66428@hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera in Brazil + a new species from Australia

To all,

        First of all thanks to Isao-san for the kind words and mostly for the
opportunity to give the slide presentation at the latest IPS meeting. I hope
everybody enjoyed the slides (including the guy who was sleeping in the front
row!!!). Before anybody asks, I showed almost 100 slides, and not 100 'sheets'
of slides as Isao-san wrote (actually the fault lays with his amazing English/
Japanese translation software which sometimes puts together odd phrases).
        My favorite are also the slides of D.graomogolensis, which is truly a
magnificent species, 1000X more beautiful than the 3-4 plants shown in the
unfortunate picture mysteriously chosen by CPN to represent D.graomogolensis in
my article on this species (a slide which only showed that these plants aren't
necessarily always a deep wine-red color, but more greenish in the shade).
        Isao-san mentions a herbarium of a purple-flowered D.pauciflora I
collected near Darling, a small town not far north from Cape Town. It measures
an amazing 6.5cm in diameter!!!! And most surprising of all, they can get even
bigger in this species!! D.pauciflora is just one of many wonders I saw while
in South Africa.
        The habitats of Drosera in Brazil are truly very different from
those found in Japan and Northern Temperate areas in general, but extremely
similar to the highland habitats I saw in Africa. Yes, yes, I know, I still
haven't written anything to the listserv on my trip to Africa and the CPs I
found. Please have patience, I'll get there someday.....

        I have just received news from Allen Lowrie of the publication of yet
another species from the petiolaris-complex. It's already well-known among
CPers as D.sp.aff.petiolaris "erect" and has been named D.paradoxa due to its
weird growth cycle. I was lucky enough to find this living jewel growing in the
wild at Kakadu National Park, N.T., in 1993, while travelling around Australia
and saw a healthy potful of it again this weekend at the IPS meeting. In fact,
the plants being shown at the meeting were amazing! I've never seen such huge
Pinguicula in my life!!!!

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan