re: viruses and hoax ones

From: steve steve (stevesteve@rocketmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 06:07:15 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 06:07:15 -0800 (PST)
From: steve steve <stevesteve@rocketmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: viruses and hoax ones

>Dear Steve, Cyril, and other computer experts out
there,
> I understood that no viruses can infect one's
> computer via Email.But how about Email-softwares,
> such as Pegasus or Eudora, which automatically
download
> mails (+ attachements, if present) to the hard disk?
> Already thanks for your information
> Guy VdK
>
> P.S. To all those imbeciles, idiots, and other crap
> making and sending viruses or hoax ones:
> try to get adult before you die and stop this
bullshit.

Guyl,

If you are worried about viruses then there is really
no other option than to obtain a reputable anti-virus
program. I have even seen driver disks supplied by
manufacturers of hardware that had nasties on them.
Sadly it is one of the features of computing these
days, so protect yourselves as best you can and try
to backup important stuff to floppy disks (cheap) or
tape (if you have a drive) as often as you can. This
is not one of those PANIC!!! warnings that have been
going about but just advice that I would give anyone
with a PC.

Cheers
Steve

PS Rob St Jean. Thanks for posting the warning, you
did it in good faith and even though it turned out to
be a hoax virus, all computer users need to work
together on the problem.