Nepenthes sanguinia roots

From: Tim Williams (Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 02:49:16 PST

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:49:16 -0000
From: Tim Williams <Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes sanguinia roots

Dear Nepenthes experts,

I'd appreciate advice on how to encourage a small (5cm dia.) N. =
sanguinia to start generating some roots and hence grow a bit. I have =
had the plant for about 12 months, in addition to other easy-growing =
species like N. alata, N. khasiana, N. rafflesiana, etc., and of all my =
plants only N. sanguinia has failed to increase in size at all, although =
new (small) leaves and pitchers (1.5cm long!) do form. Recently I =
inspected the plant and discovered an almost complete lack of roots, =
whereas the other neps. have good and extensive root systems. In the =
same terrarium and similar potting medium, N. khasiana and N. alata form =
10-15cm pitchers. Some of these plants were not much larger than the =
sanguinia at first and have grown considerably.

Conditions are: large indoor terrarium with mixed sunlight / striplights =
(120W total), humidity > 70% at all times, regular spraying + fog =
humidifying, temperatures 15C min 25 C max except for midsummer, when =
the minimum is whatever I can get (usually 25 or so) and soft water.

Potting medium (up to now) was orchid mix + sphagnum moss. I recently =
added some (milled) moss peat (by watering with a "soup" of this peat) =
in case the medium was TOO open for the sanguinia roots.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Tim Williams.