Terraria, VFTs

From: Ermine! (ermine@netscape.com)
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 17:41:05 PST

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 17:41:05 -0800
From: "Ermine!" <ermine@netscape.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Terraria, VFTs

> From: Tim Williams <Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp>
> Subject: Terraria
> Could anyone offer advice on how to prevent a tropical-fish aquarium,
> used as a CP terrarium, from developing an unpleasant-smelling bottom
> layer? I would like to use a large aquarium for some of my nepenthes,
> and since the plants are potted, just put something like gravel in the
> aquarium bottom. The idea of the gravel is just to buffer the water
> content a bit.

I am currently using a 30-gallon aquarium on my desk at work. I am not
using gravel, however. I can't see an easy way to keep that clean. I
have problems with alge, but I get around that by cleaning out the water
in the tank once a month or so. (gravel would make that a lot more
difficult!)

I take out the potted plants and siphon out the algae-infested water,
then wipe it down with paper towels and refil. No chemicals or
cleaners. I clean the plastic grating that fills the bottom of the tank
in the sink. I just put that in to keep the pots off the bottom of the
tank, and to lift them a little.

Then I refill and put the pots back in - no more algae for at least a
month!

> Also, what is the best way of maintaining the required internal =
> temperature- a small light-bulb-type heater? Or heating cable?

The flourescent lights 2 inches over my tank provide enough heat to keep
it at a constant 80 degrees (farenheight!) with the lid on, about 72-75
with the lid off. I don't need a heater, and my nepenthes spathulata x
veichii is doing wonderfully! (it's the only one I have..)

> From: jennbeth@juno.com (Jennifer B Bernstein)
> Subject: 2 basic venus fly trap questions

> Hi. I'm new to the world of carnivorous plants and have two questions
> that I hope someone can answer.

Welcom, Jennifer! I've only been 'in' this hobby for a few months
myself, but i've always liked CP. I could just never keep them alive
before. :)

> 1. I live in Manhattan and can't seem to find much food for my venus
> fly
> traps. Is it okay to feed them little crickets?

That's what I've been feeding mine, and they're growing beautifully. I
can't see why crickets would be bad. Beef would be bad, but even a diet
of just crickets shouldn't harm the plant - they should have all the
minerals of any other insect.

> 2. Should my vfts be fed at this time of the year? I don't quite
> understand when, specifically, they should be dormant or for how long.

I'm feeding my seedlings in my terrarium, but my larger plants are
outside or on windowsills. I'm not feeding them. They wouldn't eat
anyway, as the traps on one aren't closing, and the other has died back
to stems. (I'm not worried, this happens sometimes when they're
dormant.)

Since I have some very young plants, I don't intend to let them go
dormant this year. I'll put them out next year though.

As to how long plants should be dormant, from what I've read, VFT need
3-5 months of dormancy. I'm putting mine out from November though
February this year. I may put my drosera out now, somewhat late, but
leave them out an extra month or so to make up for it. I was just
informed that d.capensis needs dormancy too, so I'd better do it!

I hope this helps.

Matt O.
ermine@netscape.com