Re: terraria

From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 20:27:22 PST

Date:          Tue, 9 Dec 1997 23:27:22 -0500
From: NPLUMMER@hg-basic1mail.hg.med.umich.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: terraria

Tim Williams <Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp> wrote:

>Could anyone offer advice on how to prevent a tropical-fish aquarium, =
>used as a CP terrarium, from developing an unpleasant-smelling bottom =
>layer?

You could try placing the pots on plastic eggcrate above a shallow layer of
water. Add physan to the water to keep it from going stagnant or growing
algae. Clean water will be much less likely to get nasty and anaerobic than a
layer of gravel or sphagnum. Physan is a detergent/disinfectant that orchid
growers frequently use in humidity trays below their plants. It seems to have
the added advantage of reducing surface tension so that dust, etc doesn't form
a scummy film on the surface. In the U.S., you can buy it in garden centers.
Presumably, there is an equivalent in Japan (if I read your email address
correctly).

Regards
       Nick
Nicholas Plummer