Re: nep feeding

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Dec 17 1997 - 14:22:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 17 Dec 97 17:22 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: nep feeding

> I ran home with a handful of mealworms, fed several of my neps
> that were growing a terrarium and awaited the burst of growth.
> Instead, every pitcher that recieved a mealworm sat for about
> a week, then turned black and died. After snipping off the dead
> pitchers, I noticed that most of the worms were completely intact.
> Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening, or should I
> just refrain from feeding them until they are larger (the pitchers were
> about 1-2 inches. There seem to have been no effects, positive or
> negative, on the plants.

Hello Brandon,

   No, this isn't normal. Sound like either the Neps didn't like
the meal worms or they were over fed. I told Brandon about some
Nepenthes I recently recieved from Andreas Wistuba last night in a
private e-mail. Well, some those rosettes I have been feeding are
not even an inch, never mind the pitchers. I have to break off the
lids just to get something into them. I can see the plants' responce
to the feeding and it is very positive :) While most of the leaves
in the rosettes are about the same size, after feeding the next leaves
to grow show a nice increase in size.
   Perhaps the meal worms innoculated the pitchers with bacteria they
couldn't handle.?. Or only half a meal worm/pitcher is enough?
   BTW, since I mentioned him, all the plants I received from Andreas
(over a dozen) come through in great shape and health. I can give a
very positive recommendation for him if you're looking for Nepenthes!

Dave Evans

P.S. sometimes pitchers do die when fed, I think it mostly caused
by too much of the wrong bacteria or some other condition caused by
the food rotting (perhaps too little O2 in the pitcher?).