Pinguicula heterophylla var Alfredae

From: Nigel Hurneyman (nhurneyman@onemeaning.com)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 02:30:57 PST

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 10:30:57 -0000
From: Nigel Hurneyman <nhurneyman@onemeaning.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pinguicula heterophylla var Alfredae

Can anyone advise me on how to grow this? Does it require a winter rest?

I noticed last weekend that the heated propagator containing my choicer
Mexican Pings had dried out. None of the Pings are watered - they stand
completely dry and hoover the moisture they need out of the air. However,
after the propagator dried out they all looked very sad. I refilled it with water
and turned the temperature up to get the humidity back to normal and misted
the pings with a hand spray. The P gypsicolas have decided it is winter and
put out their winter rosettes, the P reticulata still looks sad but a lot better
and I think it will pull through. The P heterophylla var Alfredaes' foliage turned
to mush, and on Sunday I sadly started to take them out to discard them.
However a little dig under the surface of the compost revealed some rather
healthy looking bulbs, one of which was starting to sprout again - I didn't
know that some pings came from bulbs! Any advice on their future care
would be most welcome.

Good Growing, NigelH