Re: Pinguicula heterophylla var Alfredae

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@mail.microserve.net)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 07:00:01 PST

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 10:00:01 -0500 (EST)
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@mail.microserve.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicula heterophylla var Alfredae

Nigel,

>Can anyone advise me on how to grow this? Does it require a winter rest?

I have alwas given it a rest period in the refrigerator and it thrives year
to year, producing several little plants from the tips of its leaves. I
keep it barely moist during the rest period and just sit it back in the
water tray in the spring. It is in a clay pot with mostly vermiculite and
pearlite, with a bit of peat.

>and I think it will pull through. The P heterophylla var Alfredaes'
foliage turned
>to mush, and on Sunday I sadly started to take them out to discard them.
>However a little dig under the surface of the compost revealed some rather
>healthy looking bulbs, one of which was starting to sprout again - I didn't
>know that some pings came from bulbs! Any advice on their future care
>would be most welcome.

I don't even unpot them - I just put the pot in a plastic bag and check on
them throughout the winter to make sure they don't get too dry. The way I
like it - nice and simple!

Take care & keep on growing,

Thomas K. Hayes
DANGEROUS PLANTS