Re: Nepenthes pathology

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 13:04:35 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 16:04:35 -0500
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes pathology

> Howdy ho from sunny Tucson Arizona in the dessicated US southwest!
>I was wondering if anyone could point me to a reference for diseases and
>"symptoms" of various problems applicable to nepenthes species. What I'm
>really looking here is a semi-technical treatment of the diagnosis and
>treatment of afflictions which may crop up in nepenthes. It would be
>particularly interesting to see
>
> John
>
>John Brownlee
>Lunar and Planetary Lab
>University of Arizona
>jonnie @ lpl . arizona . edu

Hi Tucson:

As a Northern Nep. grower (Great White North) I think that this is a
_great_ idea! Especially as regards:

"if there are means to differentiate
 between environmental stress and infection by pests, etc."

I say: Go for it! I would be very interested in the results of even an
informal study, or some stats.

I do not have many problems with what Neps I grow here, but I have been
discouraged from trying less hardy (more exotic?) and more prone to fungus
and mold kinds in this climate. Over our long winters this can be a problem
for a lot of CP species and Nepenthes are not immune.

Alatas grow wonderfully here and even take some frost. Can't kill mine with
a hammer. Love wasps.

Kind Regards,

Rand