Re: VFT SOS PDQ

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 06:54:00 PST

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 09:54:00 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT SOS PDQ

>1) Please don't do it! Named cultivars should not be sexually
propagated.

Now Jay <gr>, you don't really mean this. Of course they should or
rather could be sexually propagated. They just need a new name as you
pointed out.

>BTW, I learned this the hard way, when I was young(er) and foolish (at
least
>moreso than I am today ... those who know me keep quiet <grin>).

We have all been younger and more foolish, so move over. (Sorry, this
was just too good to pass up.)

>I was blithely growing D. x 'Marston Dragon' and D. x 'California
Sunset' which I
>had been given as seedlings (as in from seeds, that is sexually
propagated,
>which I've already said above is a no no.). On the advice of others
older and
>wiser than me, I reluctantly destroyed the plants.

You purposely destroyed cp's when some of us are struggling to grow
them. I just killed a D. x Marston Dragon because I didn't notice that
the media dried up. You could have kept them and started a dynasty.
Let's see: D. x MD L235 and
D. x CS AOL.com

See how easy it is <gr big gr>. My New Year's resolution is not to
tease people. I failed. Of course, since you're an officer and hence a
public figure, rules and promises don't apply <I'd better say gr here
too or someone will take me serious>

David