Re: VFT SOS PDQ

From: JEFFREY WELCH (WELCH.JEFFREY@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 07:15:11 PST

Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 10:15:11 -0500
From: JEFFREY WELCH <WELCH.JEFFREY@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT SOS PDQ

Hi Folks,

     I can only partly agree with Jay about the selfing of cultivars. I do
agree that any plants that result from self pollination of a cultivar are not
that cultivar. Similarly selfed hybrids are no longer that hybrid.
     As to whether the crosses should be made, of course they should as
long as the grower doesn't try to pass them off as the original
cultivar/hybrid. Fifty seedlings of Akai Ryu x self are now fifty unique
plants, *not* fifty Akai Ryu. Some may have characteristics that improve
upon Akai Ryu, most probably will be inferior plants. So make the cross,
keep good records, and be honest about the origin of the plants.

Take care!

Jeff