Re: S.X"Ladies-in-Waiting"

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 1998 - 12:55:48 PST

Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 12:55:48 PST
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S.X"Ladies-in-Waiting"

Hi list,

Joe Cumbee wrote:
>I was fortunate enough to purchase a "Ladies in Waiting" at the ICPS
Convention
>at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens this past May. It is a very nice
plant, and it
>held up to the South Georgia heat very well. Just to say that you own
a plant
>that was cultivated by Rob Gardner and Larry Mellichamp is worth much
more
>than the $20.00, I wish now I had also gotten the "Dixie Lace" also.

I've seen and I grow the Mellichamp plants that you mention. Joe, you
are very correct in saying that a Mellichamp plant is worth more than
$20. No other hybrids even compare in beauty and vigor(except possibly,
SX'JudithHindle.'). Dr. Mellichamp has been producing these plants for
years and he is redefining my expectations of a Sarracenia hybrid.
SX"Ladies..." grows about 8-12" tall and has an obvious leuco influence.
I'd have to double check, but I think it is a SXleuco X(rubraxpsitt)
hybrid. SX"Dixie Lace" is in my opinion even prettier than SX"Ladies..."
Each pitcher has a green/orange color with a dense network of red veins.
I'm not very good at describing them, but let me say that they are by
far the prettiest Sarrs I've ever seen. I've even considered growing
only a few "regular" Sarrs and the rest beauties like these.
 I've spoken to Dr. Mellichamp about his hybrids and he selects plants
that are beautiful, vigorous, colorfull, about 12" in height when
mature, and easy to grow. Right now he has 3 hybrids in tc, but will
have more to follow(IMHO, what follows is even better). The 3 hybrids
are SX"Ladies-in-Waiting," SX"Dixie Lace," and SX"Case's Resolve." I
understand that there is some trouble with SX"Case's Resolve," so I
don't know if it will be available. The only current source that I know
of for these plants is David Crump in Charlotte, NC and he has plenty of
each. If his computer is up-and-running, maybe he could comment further.
 Those of you that have seen the Sarrs at the NC Botanical Gardens in
Chapel Hill or the McMullen Conservatory at UNCC know what I am talking
about. Possibly, the best Sarr displays in the nation.

  Stefan Ploszak
  Gastonia,NC