Re: Sexual propagation of cultivars

From: L235 (L235@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 05 1998 - 13:13:22 PST

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:13:22 EST
From: L235 <L235@aol.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  Sexual propagation of cultivars

Ok, ok ... consider me suitably chastened. In actuality, I think it's fine to
play around with genetics ... to a point. My "official" exhortation was
however in response to the huge danger in passing off (innocently or
otherwise) named cultivars when they're not, due to sexual as opposed to
asexual propagation. If you're not quite sure what you're doing, and actively
trading, it can seriously muddy the hobby and give us all a bad reputation
(and don't we have enough to worry about with all the indescriminate poaching
and CP naturalization we do? <grin>).

I think it's important to protect cultivars .... might like to name one myself
someday.

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
Reston, Virginia USA