Re: too much light for Helis?

From: Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be
Date: Tue Jan 06 1998 - 02:31:22 PST

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:31:22 +0000
From: Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: too much light for Helis?

Hello Jonathan,

> Is there such a thing as too much light for Helis? I have mine about six
> inches under six fluorescent bulbs, three of which are very powerful.
> More specifically, I was wondering if too much light might inhibit their
> development, as only one out of eight juvenile plants I have has
> produced adult pitchers.

To my experience, Helis can receive a lot of light, which I think is
consistent with the high light intensities they receive in the
tropics at the altitude they grow. I cultivate my plants about
20 to 30 cm under three cool white TRU-LITE lamps. New pitchers turn
reddish almost immediately after appearance. Also in nature, they
display this colour. Plants grow well and flower. Young, ex-vitro
plants do the same, and don't burn. The terrarium in which they grow
however receives regular misting to.

> All of the varieties that I grow are doing well, but seem to get much
> redder than photos I have seen of the same plants, and new plants tend
> to burn rather badly before adapting.
> I know that they are otherwise happy, since they have all grown very
> well, divided, and even flowered, but I would really like to know if
> reducing their light would help the young ones.

In your case, I would advise to protect some young plants
from high light intensities, and see the result. This provided that
all other factors are optimal, but since your adult plants do grow
well and flower, I think this is not the problem.

Kind regards,

Guy VdK