Re: Re: Anthocyanin free Darlingtonia - nomenclature

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 16:54:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 15 Jan 98 19:54 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Anthocyanin free Darlingtonia - nomenclature

> So you are not in favour of the name "S. purpurea purpurea f.
> heterophylla" neither, unless of course the lack of anthocyanin would
> give this plant a certain benefit. I did notice with Dionaea that
> greener plants grow bigger than the redder ones.

Dear Wim,

    The largest VFT I have seen was an all-red clone. With VFT the
conditions play a very large role in what the plants will look like.
This is true of most CP's, BTW. I have noticed that redder plants
do better than their greener sisters (most plants are at least female)
of the same type in areas that receive very bright light. While it's
the greener plants which do better in dimmer conditions.

Dave Evans