Pollination and germination of VFT seeds

From: Ian Williams (iwilliams@dist.gov.au)
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 15:26:24 PST

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:26:24 +1000
From: iwilliams@dist.gov.au (Ian Williams)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Pollination and germination of VFT seeds

     It is wonderful to be able to respond to a question to which I know
     the answer.

     During our last southern Spring October, I allowed about 5 of my VFTs
     to develop flowers. I was careful to cross fertilise the plants which
     were from different sources. I thne allowed the flower pods to mature
     and then after they had gone black, I obtained about 150 seeds (i
     didnt count to find the precise number).

     No stratification is required (see Ross Rowe's recent posting on this
     issue).

     I then sowed the seeds in my glass house onto peat moss contained in
     brocholi boxes (polystyrene boxes) and germination was achieved
     between 4-6 weeks later (I was away during the time the seeds came
     up). I now have about 70 - 80 healthy VFT seedlings about 1 cm in
     diameter. A few extra stragglers have also appeared steadily as well.

     if you have specific varieties of VFT eg Royal red, I recommend you
     obtain extra plants through leaf cuttings.

     Ian Williams
     Canberra, Australia