bugs, pygmies

From: Andy Falshaw (falshawa@irlgrace2.grace.cri.nz)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:01:13 GMT+1200
From: "Andy Falshaw" <falshawa@irlgrace2.grace.cri.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:  bugs, pygmies

Hi folks.
I have some little bugs crawling round in some of my pots. They are
2-3mm long, and <1mm wide. They are very shiny, they look silver,
but not like silverfish, more like wing cases of little flies. Are
these the dreaded fungus gnats?? If so, what damage do they do, and
what should I do to be rid of them??

My d. scorpiodes are putting out what look like aerial roots. They
are red, coming off the stems, and where they hit soil they are going
in. Anyone seen this before?
Two other lots of pygmies are just finishing flowering - should I cut
off the dead flowers? Will I get viable seed? Are they likely to
have cross pollinated, being sat next to each other, so I'll get
nitidulaxallontostigmataxpulchella?

Andy