Nepenthes labelling by wholesalers

From: Gordon Wells (gwells@iri.upc.es)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 01:22:48 PST

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:22:48 +0100
From: Gordon Wells <gwells@iri.upc.es>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes labelling by wholesalers

Hi,

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Peter D'Amato wrote:

> I truely agree with the comments of others who wished these
> wholesalers would at least have the foresight and courtesy to
> put real names of their plants on these mass-produced Nepenthes.

I visited a large CP wholesaler in Holland recently who supplies
a major part of the CP imported to Spain. Their Nepenthes are
typically labelled as "Hybride", or "Maxima", or "Alata". When
I asked why they didn't use more specific (and accurate) labels,
they said it was because it simply costs too much to have 10 or 15
different labels printed, so they just make 3 or 4. Although they
usually know the heritage of most of the varieties they produce,
if none of the specific labels fits a particular plant, they just
put a "Hybride" label on it and away it goes. After all, the vast
majority of their buyers couldn't care less about the exact species
name.

Gordon

Gordon Wells
Instituto de Robotica e Informatica Industrial
Edificio Nexus, planta 2
Gran Capitan 2-4 Tel: (343) 401-5805
Barcelona E-08034 Fax: (343) 401-5750
SPAIN e-mail: gwells@iri.upc.es