Re: Nepenthes labelling by wholesalers

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 14:38:36 PST

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:38:36 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes labelling by wholesalers

Gordon Wells wrtoe:
>Although they usually know the heritage of most of the
>varieties they produce, if none of the specific labels fits
>a particular plant, they just put a "Hybride" label on it
>and away it goes. After all, the vast majority of their
>buyers couldn't care less about the exact species
>name.

This sounds quite believable to me. I guess I'm glad they are
at least labelling it as a hybrid. The Drosera I have seen
for sale (in those pots with the domes) are ALWAYS
labelled D. rotundifolia. The company (Gruber's I think?)
has been using the same label since at least the 70's when
I got into this hobby. So far I have seen D. capensis,
D. adelae, D. spathulata, and D. capillaris in those pots
but NEVER D. rotundifolia.

Richard Ellis "ricell@juno.com"
Boulder, CO