Re: Propagation of Mexician PINGS

From: Marco Lichtenberger (MLICHTEN@urz-mail.urz.uni-heidelberg.de)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date:          Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:36:29 MET-1MEST
From: "Marco Lichtenberger" <MLICHTEN@urz-mail.urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Propagation of Mexician PINGS

Hi.

I find your essay about the propagation of pings quite interesting,
because i'm growing these plants for more than seven years.

> With the onset of colder weather and lower light levels its time
> to propagate the Mexician Pinguiculas .

Because i had no information about Pinguicula or any other
carnivorous plant when i bought my first moranensis i tried out the
best way to propagate them with single leaves, cuttings, etc.
i finally came to the conclusion that under my growing conditions
(Germany) the best time for propagation is May to June when the
plants "awake" and start to get their carnivorous leaves. I only use
the first winter-leaves and put them to the terrarium of my
Nephentes (of course in seperate pots filled with fertilized peat
and sand).Two or three months later they are transferred to single
pots and treatet like the adult plants. They are nearly all flowering
in the following flowering period in December and January and now
they are even as big as the adult plants.

Though i wasn't successful to get seeds at all. Does anyone know how
to pollinate these plants, at least the "everyday" moranensis,
esseriana and gypsicola ?
Also i would be pleasant to know if anyone has experience in growing
plants of the kind of primuliflora, my young plants grow next to my
Nepenthes, but as soon as they have flowered the first time they rot.

Thanks and good growing. Marco.