Re: Erickson's book and Drosera

From: Russell Hansen (rdhan0@qed.qld.gov.au)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 14:12:24 PST

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:12:24 +1000 (EST)
From: Russell Hansen <rdhan0@qed.qld.gov.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Erickson's book and Drosera

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 koudela@ure.cas.cz wrote:
> Here is the info you can find in the CP book list. I doubt you can
> find a copy in a second hand bookstore, anyway if you do succeed,
> let the listserv (or me at least) know about it.
>
> Erickson, Rica: "Plants of Prey in Australia".Lamb Publications,

Thanks for the info. I have actually found a copy in a second hand
bookstore for AUS $20. I guess I should get it hey, or I'll never see it
again. That'll bring by CP book collection up to two, with Gordon Cheers
'Carniverous Plants of the World' being the other book I got a few years
ago on sale for $8.

On the topic of Drosera, my brother puchased a block of land about 15
years ago on the southern outskirts of Brisbane. At the time, there was
lots of vacan t land around there, but now it's practically all built out.

While we were cutting all the long grass when he first bought it, we
discovered masses of Drosera all over the ground. At that time, CP's were
a new 'Novelty' with a few VT's occassionally appearing in the shops, and
I was a naive teenager.

Anyway, we did a little research and figured it was a drosera binata (as
that was the only drosera species we knew existed). Of course we dug some
up, took them home (several times) and they all promptly died, so we gave
up in the end.

I'm afraid I have to sadly say (now that I realise what exactly we had)
that they all ended up being bulldozed to make way for the house.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any recorded species of Drosera being
found in Brisbane, or what types. Please don't anyone tell me that it may
have been a unique collection that was never discovered, or I'll never
forgive myself.

Russell Hansen | WWW:http://www.powerup.com.au/~rhansen
QLD Department of Education | email: Russell.Hansen@qed.qld.gov.au
Brisbane, Australia | or: rhansen@powerup.com.au