RE: Sphagnum moss

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Wed Jan 28 1998 - 14:55:36 PST

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:55:36 -0500
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sphagnum moss

> Is it normal for sphagnum moss to be whitish and
> brown in the winter? Though the moss is growing in
> my Nepenthes terrarium and the Neps are doing great,
> some of the sphagnum which is normally green seems
> sickly. Both the Neps and the moss grow in a
> perlite/bark mixture sold for orchids and have high
> humidity and good light. What could I be doing wrong?

Dr. Cap,
My sphagnum moss is outside here in the North Carolina piedmont and it is a
bright green, even when frozen. My moss turns whitish and brown when it is
dried out, like when a bird has been digging in the pots and knocked some of
it out. I'm sure drying is not the only reason that sphagnum turns color,
but that's been my experience.

hth,
Phil