Sphagnum moss

From: Dennis Wilson (dennis@guymon.tebtc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 21:08:07 PST

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 21:08:07 -0800
From: Dennis Wilson <dennis@guymon.tebtc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sphagnum moss

Hello everyone,

My name is Dennis and I live in the panhandle of Oklahoma. I just got
interested in CP and have set up a terrarium. I have about 15 Venus Fly
Traps in it that I started from seed. They are just now starting to put
on their first traps. They sure are small. I also have a couple of
Sarracenias in the terrarium also. I also have some other plants
(Drosera, Darlingtonia, and a couple more Sarracenias on order).

I have enjoyed reading the CP list for about 2 months but I have a
question that I don't remember seeing asked.

In my VFT's (the one started from seed) I have what looks like some
kind of moss growing.
The sprigs of it look like little trees. The leaves branch up like an
evergreen tree and each little "tree" is about a quarter of an inch
long. Now my question. Is this sphagnum moss the grew from spores in
the peat moss I used? I hope this isn't a dumb question but I have
never seen this happen in any other peat moss I have used.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have an idea about what else is
growing with my VFTs.

Thanks

Dennis Wilson