Re: Re: Superthrive - False advertising?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 30 1998 - 19:49:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 30 Jan 98 22:49 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Superthrive - False advertising?

Dear Rand,

> >Superthrive - False advertising?
> >
> > While I will not confirm or dispute the effectiveness of
> > Superthrive, I
> >do wonder how the company avoids false advertising lawsuits and/or
> >penalties.
> > The label claims that 50 hormones are in Superthrive, yet only
> > one,
> >NAA, is actually listed as an ingredient.

   Hmm... I haven't read my ST label 'cause it's pretty ugly, but I
did read the back about NAA and agree that it's the only one listed.
I wonder though, if there are several different isomers (or maybe
even more than 50) of NAA. I doubt it because I have the impression
that it's a fairly small molecule.

> > Does anybody know what the mystery 49 hormones are?

Not yet,
Dave Evans

P.S. I'm not sure if it works on Nepenthes, but it I'm a hundred %
positive that will increase foliar embryo production in Drosera by
about a factor of 3 to 4, at least on leaves of species that will
strike. No, I haven't done an exactly the same conditions, side by
side test; but after years of striking leaf cuttings in all sort of
different conditions I have had just about the same rate. Now using
ST, I get about four times as many plants from the same sized leaves.
    It didn't work on D.linearis, though I used leaves from the end of
season so perhaps the plant was already too far into dormancy for the
leaves to strike... Any ideas on that?

Oh well, I'll try and end this one again,
Dave E