Soil Acidifier

From: Joe Harden (joeharden@geocities.com)
Date: Sat Jan 31 1998 - 05:46:00 PST

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 07:46:00 -0600
From: Joe Harden <joeharden@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Soil Acidifier

I know I am not the only one out there that bought one of those Home Depot
N. magadensis...and I hear of some of you out there with the leaves turning
yellow. I tried out a soil acidifier, and I already am seeing a
difference...and anyhow, a lot of CP's like this type of condition so here
it goes...
I bought Green Light brand "iron 4.6% @ Soil Acidifier"...I used the
directions for a 6" pot, and cut the application in 1/2 just because this
is CP and I really don't want to burn the plants. The reason for the iron
applications? Iron chelates are very helpful for any plant - they help the
plant in absorbing nutrients through the soil, mainly nitrogen. This is
the weakest solution I found on the shelf, and even though I cut the dosage
in half, My leaves seem to turning a nicer shade of green after 3 weeks.
Also...for anyone that puts VFT's in their fridge for dormancy..my tip to
you is DRY OUT THAT SOIL!!! I put 12 VFT's in my fridge, some with soaking
wet medium, some with semi wet medium, and others with just about dry (not
crumbly dry). 3 of 4 with wet medium were trashed...1 of 4 of the semi-wet
was dead (good odds) but all my plants in dry soil are happy!
That's all I got to say today...I'm monkey around with other Non-CP today
(non cp, but cool plants)!

Joe Harden