Re: Spectacular Sarr hybrid

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 07:04:15 PST

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 07:04:15 PST
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Spectacular Sarr hybrid

David wrote:

>Now for some fun. Can you guess the parentage or better yet how and
>in what order would you breed species and hybrids to get this jewel?
>It's a very tall plant, on the order of a large flava or leucophylla
>and the pitcher at the rim is very large.

 You just mentioned the parents. Although this clone looks more
spectacular than most, it is a simple SXflava x leucophylla. And judging
from the photo, I would say the flava parent is the "cut throat"
(rugelii) variety. Pretty plants like this one are what make Sarr
hybridizing such an art; you could make this same cross with several
different parents and still never create something so spectacular. For
those of you that have ordered Dr.Mellichamp's "Ladies-in-Waiting" and
"Dixie Lace," you'll be getting the product of an artist's efforts. Can
you tell I like these plants?

All the best,
Stefan