Re: N, ventricosa or burkei?

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 17:43:42 PST

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 20:43:42 -0500
From: Richard Brown <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N, ventricosa or burkei?

>could you please explain what the differences are?
>...besides for color and size.

Hi Dave and other interested CPers,

Gladly. The pitchers are the main difference. They are more
infundibulate (I don't have my Nepenthes lit. with me as I am at the
office. I believe this latin term refers to a "funnel" shape) , that is,
the pitcher is narrow at the base, becoming much broader at the
peristome. Now, this is a young plant, so I know the difference between
an upper and lower pitcher on ventricosa. It looks like neither. The lid
is held over the pitcher like a lower pitcher on a ventricosa. The
pitcher is bronzy colored in the lower half, becoming red tingued in the
upper part. Peristome is red, ridged, strongly reflexed like ventricosa.

I have yet to see an upper pitcher. I understand a plant of this same
desciption is in the collection at Atlanta Botanical Gardens. It is
tagged N. burkei.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida.