Re: Re: N, ventricosa or burkei?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 23:23:00 PST

Date:    Sat, 21 Feb 98 02:23 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: N, ventricosa or burkei?

Hi Trent,

> Gladly. The pitchers are the main difference. They are more
> infundibulate (I don't have my Nepenthes lit. with me as I am at the
> office. I believe this latin term refers to a "funnel" shape) , that is,
> the pitcher is narrow at the base, becoming much broader at the
> peristome. Now, this is a young plant, so I know the difference between
> an upper and lower pitcher on ventricosa.

   Ok, well I have two N.ventricosa and one N.burkei. All have upper
pitchers on which the top half is funnel shaped. I have not seen the
lower pitchers on the N. burkei since it was a cutting from an adult
vine and has not made any basal rosettes yet.
   This young plant, what stage would you say it's in? Only a couple
years from seed or a cutting from an older plant? Perhaps the upper
pitchers of these two species(?) are similar...

Dave Evans