Re: marking labels

From: Larry Mellichamp (tlmellic@unccvm.uncc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 11:14:48 PST

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 13:14:48 -0600
From: Larry Mellichamp <tlmellic@unccvm.uncc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: marking labels

My experience over 20 years has been that NO ink pen marker will hold up on
any label more than 2-3 years outdoors. BUT, plain old No. 2 pencil written
on a vinyl label (not polystyrene) or metal (zinc-plated types) will last
forever (or 20 years, I haven't gone beyond that). I have plastic labels 20
years old in the grenehouse that are just as good as yesterday. I have 20
year old zinc labels outside that have rusted away on the parts underground,
but the pencil writing is still excellent on the above ground label part.

Best wishes,
Larry
Larry Mellichamp
Biology Dept.