Saracenia hybrid

From: James Tovee (106361.2125@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 11:12:51 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:12:51 -0500
From: James Tovee <106361.2125@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Saracenia hybrid

>Two things are fascinating with this hybrid: the hood and the fantastic=

pink rim on the pitcher. The underside of the hood is not >fenestrated b=
ut
rather a dark red, which reminds me of the alata's described in the
previous paragraph. Also, I can see pink rims on >my leuco's as they a=
ge
but never to this degree and not quite so vibrant. It makes me wonder if=

one of the parents is a red tube form. >Isn't there a red tubed leuco? =
know there are red tubed flavas.
>My guess is that one of the parents is red tubed. I'm trying to remembe=
whether or not red acts as dominant/recessive or whether >it's (and I
can't remember the scientific name for it) a multigene
>inheritance that allows varying shades. My guess is the later since we
see such variation in red colour in pitchers.
>When you've seen flava x leuco hybrids, do they ever look like this? For=

those who have the flava x leuco cross in your cp collection, >do they lo=
ok
like the one in Craig's website? I find it difficult to believe that on=
cross could produce this or maybe I should say >crossing a typical flav=
with a typical leuco. What do you think of this proposal for duplicating
this hybrid? red rugelii flava x leuco
>grow it for 5 years (red rugelii flava x leuco) x alata with pale yellow=
,
fenestrated top hood and red underside hood (and having it with >red
tubes if alata's come that way.) grow it for 5 years you get
www.jps.net/cgardner/DaveM-1.jpg.

        The hybrid you described sounds similar to one I received from
Peter Cole last summer. It has the fenstrations of leucophylla and a
definite red rim all round the edge of the hood. It was about two foot
high, it may grow taller this coming year. It was called Lynda Butt. I
believe that hybrids have the potential to be the most attractive plants =
as
in all other cultivated plants.

        I thought the venus fly trap produced large leaves with small
traps, When they were well fed and did not need to catch any more food. =

        Jim Tovee