Re: Feeding VFTs

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 15:41:48 PST

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:41:48 -0700 (MST)
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Feeding VFTs

At 03:21 AM 2/12/98 -0800, you wrote:

>My questions:

>1) Can a VFT survive without food ? If not, how long ? What would happen
>if it gets too hungry, will its growth slow down ?

Yes, a vft can live and grow without ever being fed. It will grow faster
and be more robust if fed occasionally. I generally feed each trap once
before it dies.

>2) I've seen pictures of VFT where the leaf length : trap length ratio
>is about 1.5 : 1. Mine is about 3 : 1 to 4 : 1. What determines this
>ratio, could it be light intensity ?

Light intensity may have some to do with this but seasonal changes also
occur. Winter leaves tend to be shorter and broader and in Summer the
leaves tend to be thinner and longer.

Hope this helps,
John in Phoenix